Third Largest School District in Maryland Relies on Aerohive Networks to Support Digital Learning
Baltimore County Public Schools Leverages Robust, Reliable and Resilient Networking Solution to Support Mobile Device Explosion and District-Wide Technology Initiatives
Sunnyvale, Calif. — April 14, 2015 — Aerohive Networks ® (NYSE: HIVE), today announced that Baltimore County Public Schools, the 25th largest school district in the United States and third largest in Maryland, has deployed Aerohive’s controller-less networking solution to provide reliable and resilient Wi-Fi access to over 110,000 students and 18,000 faculty across174 schools. With Aerohive, Baltimore County Public Schools can now support its mobile learning objectives, while empowering students and teachers to unleash their creativity in the classroom.
- Today’s classroom is the nucleus of the mobile device explosion in educational environments. This high growth is led by the increasing role mobility plays in learning technology coupled with the rise of Bring Your Own (BYO) device to schools for educators and administrators. As a result, the need to support today’s classroom is a growing issue, requiring a robust, secure and scalable networking system that can handle high traffic and numerous devices across a widespread area of various schools and buildings.
- Baltimore County Public Schools (BCPS), the third largest school district in the state of Maryland and the 25th largest district in the nation, provides education to approximately 110,000 students at 174 schools and employs more than 18,000 teachers and staff.
- Previously, BCPS relied on older Meru technology, but Wi-Fi was not extended to all classrooms. In addition, the school faced the challenge of older physical buildings with some structures dating back to the 1930s.
- The district recognized the need for an in-depth evaluation to fully replace the aging wireless network in order to provide comprehensive coverage across all campuses. They began searching for a resilient, centrally managed networking solution that could provide reliable wireless access across the 174 schools, 20 plus administrative buildings, 19 local public libraries and two data centers, while accommodating district-wide technology initiatives and a large number of devices.
- BCPS evaluated several networking vendors, including Aruba, Meru and Aerohive Networks. Ultimately, Aerohive was selected for its ease of use, scalability and flexibility, a crucial component for a district with ambitious plans for integrating Wi-Fi into classrooms and operations.
- BCPS has deployed more than 10,000 Aerohive access points (AP), including the AP121, AP170, AP330, AP350, AP370 and AP230, across all campuses and administrative buildings. On average, the district has 45,000 users connected to the network daily, and is anticipating that number rising to 100,000 users per day on the network by next year.
- In addition, BCPS is using Aerohive’s HiveManager® Virtual Appliance which enables a small IT team to quickly and easily make changes across the entire network from one console, in one location.
- With the reliable connectivity of the Aerohive mobility platform, BCPS teachers, students, parents and staff alike can leverage tools for a completely mobile campus and help the district meet its objective for an all-digital environment that enables technology for today’s modern classroom.
- To read the full Baltimore County Public Schools case study, please visit: http://www.aerohive.com/resources/baltimore-county-public-schools
“We stand behind Aerohive and wholeheartedly recommend them because of the positive impact that we have already seen at all of our schools,” said Gregory Vukov, director of network support services, Baltimore County Public Schools. “Aerohive far exceeded what we saw from the competition, and we received outstanding support from both engineering and management to ensure we would not only meet our current goals, but establish a platform for mobility to take us into the future.”
Safe Harbor Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements, including statements regarding new Aerohive product and service offerings and statements regarding their expected performance, market receptiveness and competitive advantage. These forward-looking statements are based on current expectations and are subject to inherent uncertainties, risks and changes in circumstances that are difficult or impossible to predict. The actual outcomes and results may differ materially from those contemplated by these forward-looking statements as a result of these uncertainties, risk and changes in circumstances, including, but not limited to, risks and uncertainties related to: our ability to continue to attract, integrate, retain and train skilled personnel, general demand for wireless networking in the industry verticals targeted or demand for Aerohive products in particular, unpredictable and changing market conditions, risks associated with the deployment, performance and adoption of new products and services, risks associated with our growth, competitive pressures from existing and new companies, technological change, product development delays, our inability to protect Aerohive intellectual property or to predict or limit exposure to third party claims relating to its or Aerohive's intellectual property, and general market, political, regulatory, economic and business conditions in the United States and internationally.
Additional risks and uncertainties that could affect Aerohive’s financial and operating results are included under the captions "Risk Factors" and "Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations," in the Company’s recent report on Form 10-K. Aerohive’s SEC filings are available on the Investor Relations section of the Company’s website at http://ir.aerohive.com and on the SEC's website at www.sec.gov. All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof, and Aerohive Networks disclaims any obligation to update the forward-looking statements provided to reflect events that occur or circumstances that exist after the date on which they were made, except as required by law.
About Aerohive Networks
Aerohive (NYSE: HIVE) enables our customers to simply and confidently connect to the information, applications, and insights they need to thrive. Our simple, scalable, and secure platform delivers mobility without limitations. For our over 19,000 customers worldwide, every access point is a starting point. Aerohive was founded in 2006 and is headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA. For more information, please visit www.aerohive.com, call us at 408-510-6100, follow us on Twitter @Aerohive, subscribe to our blog, join our community or become a fan on our Facebook page.
“Aerohive” and “HiveManager” are registered trademarks of Aerohive Networks, Inc. All product and company names used herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners. All rights reserved.