- Provide the school’s sites with high-performance WLAN
- Replace controller-based architecture with a flexible, scalable and secure alternative
- Expand the WLAN infrastructure for different building types
- Create a stable, high-performance network
- Sites reliably networked
- Hive Manager makes WLAN network easy to administer • Robust, reliable WLAN
- Cost-effective solution
- Seamless installation
- Comprehensive visibility and control
Aerohive Networks Ensures Seamless Connectivity Across the School’s Network
About The American School in Japan (ASIJ)
ASIJ has a rich and successful history that spans over 100 years and places it among the top forward thinking international schools in the world.
ASIJ is an international private day school located in the city of Tokyo, Japan. The school consists of an elementary school, a middle school, and a high school, all located on the Chōfu campus. There is also an early learning center (nursery-kindergarten) for children aged 3–5 located in downtown Tokyo. Instruction is in English and follows an American-style curriculum.
Background and Challenges
ASIJ has been using a wireless network for a number of years. ASIJ has over 1500 students, 180 staff and guests, all using the network at the same time. There are major spikes in network activity every morning at 8.00am and 3.00pm when they leave. They pass through the entrance and cause work in the offices to come to a standstill for around 15 minutes.
Over the last four years ASIJ have been on a journey. ASIJ used to use Aruba controllers and Access Points. When the time came to renew, technology had changed and staying with Aruba meant buying a controller.
The wireless needs of the school and the use cases for students and staff had changed due to the whole campus requiring BYOD on multiple devices and advanced digital learning initiatives, in design and technology.
Students were no longer primarily using school-owned desktops, but rather a suite of personal devices such as a laptop Macbook Air or Macbook Pro, iPad tablet and mobile devices.
The school needed to expand its wireless networking provision. In addition, teachers and support staff were using more wireless devices, laptops, tablets and Apple TVs, Google apps for education all requiring ubiquitous wireless coverage. All file servers are hosted in the cloud as part of the earthquake preparedness initiative.
Solutions and Achievements
ASIJ evaluated several potential suppliers, before selecting Aerohive. As an Apple school they were recommended Aerohive. They were impressed with Aerohive’s architecture because it provides scalable access points and its robust and reliable WLAN network is able to cover all ASIJ sites and link up all types of machines. Aerohive deployed over 400 Access Points, mainly AP121s and some AP141s for directional antennas.
The AH roll out happened very smoothly, building-by-building removing Aruba and rewiring the building. ASIJ were able to configure Aerohive easily.
A key benefit for ASIJ is not having to worry about a license and fees, and the ability to connect the Hive Manager.
The Advantages at a Glance
- Simply plug and play.
- Each Access Point is independent. Aerohive Access Points are easy to swap for a new one with a minor configuration change
- Connect to the Hive.
- Flexible, scalable, pay-as-you-grow network improves communication between sites of different sizes.
- Access points rolled out quickly.
- Easy remote management of global access points from a central platform.
- Simple, cost-effective and scalable controller less architecture prevents single point of failure.
- No need to worry about a license, comprehensive, cost-effective manufacturer-based solution.
- ASIJ has realized changes since deploying Aerohive across its entire campus. Students carry their own technology and can connect to Wi-Fi everywhere on campus.
- Teachers can also take advantage of connectivity with a variety of mobile devices in the classroom, using a phone to look up a resource or facts more quickly than having to retrieve a laptop.
- Scaling for Mobility
- Having a solid wireless infrastructure in place has positioned ASIJ for future growth and expansion. ASIJ is well positioned to meet the mobility demands of students and staff alike, helping to further the legacy of educational distinction.