Aerohive Delivers Comprehensive Solution for Software Defined LANs
SD-LAN Promises a More Adaptable, Secure, and Cost-Effective Approach to Wireless and Wired Access Networks
Milpitas, Calif. — September 12, 2016 — Aerohive Networks® (NYSE:HIVE) today announced the introduction of the industry’s most comprehensive solution for the Software Defined LAN (SD-LAN), redefining the access layer with flexible wireless and wired networking capabilities. SD-LAN is a new architecture for access networks designed for organizations struggling to adapt their network to the constantly changing demands of mobility and their business.
Aerohive is leading the shift to SD-LAN in the enterprise and is the first to deliver solutions for this new architecture. Aerohive’s SD-LAN capabilities include a new line of cloud-managed access switches; the AP250, a Wave 2 802.11ac access point with software definable dual 5 GHz radios; the latest release of HiveManager® NG cloud-delivered network and policy management; dynamic application and identity-driven network performance; and an open API platform. All of this makes Aerohive the first to deliver software defined access for adaptable, flexible, and cost-effective wireless and wired access networking.
- Modern networks must continuously adjust and adapt to keep up with the pace of change that mobility has created, something unachievable in traditional network architectures. SD-LAN builds on the principles of Software-Defined Networks (SDN) in the data center and the Software Defined WAN (SD-WAN) to create a new approach to adaptable, flexible, and cost-effective wireless and wired access network. This builds an application and policy driven architecture, unchaining hardware and software layers while offering self-organizing and centrally managed networks that are simpler to operate, integrate, and scale. Aerohive is the first vendor to articulate and deliver an SD-LAN solution.
- SD-LAN defines 5 key attributes for dynamic next-generation access networks:
- Application Optimized – Prioritizes and dynamically changes the performance and behavior of the network based on the applications that use the network, focusing network resources where they best serve the organization’s most important activities.
- Identity Driven – Dynamically defines what individual users, clients, and things can do when they access the SD-LAN. Secure granular context based access policies that can be applied to just one user and device or groups of users and devices.
- Adaptable Wired and Wi-Fi Access Layer – Wireless access points and access switches that can intelligently respond as changes in network configuration and requirements occur. This includes control protocols to deliver self-optimization, self-healing, and device behavior that can be manipulated through software.
- Cloud Managed – Centralized management of operations and policies, with policy changes distributed in real-time to switches and access points, across the distributed access network infrastructure. Cloud management keeps networks dynamic, tightly managed, and cost effective to operate.
- Open APIs – Programmable interfaces that allow tight integration of network and applications infrastructures, enabling the network to provide new insights and integrate with the rest of the operations framework.
- Aerohive’s new SD-LAN solution builds on core capabilities developed by Aerohive over the last 10 years as well as its new access points, switches, and cloud management capabilities. Aerohive has built software driven intelligence into every aspect of access networks, including:
- Application Visibility and Control – Combining a sophisticated Quality of Service (QoS) engine and a deep-packet inspection firewall at the edge of the network, Aerohive provides dynamic optimization that adapts with applications, network, and business needs.
- Context-Based Policies – Defining which users, devices, and things can enter the network, then granularly controlling what they are able to do once connected through role-based access controls, including time of day or location-based access, VLAN management, application rights, and bandwidth.
- Distributed Access Infrastructure – Aerohive’s newest switches and wireless access points directly support SD-LAN deployments. The Aerohive AP250 access point delivers self-optimizing, self-healing and self-organizing operation, with software selectable, dual 5 GHz radios, an integrated USB port for IoT readiness, and built-in Bluetooth Low Energy for iBeacon services. Unique cooperative control for Wi-Fi increases speed, scale, and resilience for enterprise networks of any size. Aerohive’s cloud-managed enterprise switches prepare organizations for a SD-LAN with a unified wired and wireless edge, available in a range of port densities, from desktop to rack mount, all managed through HiveManager NG.
- Next-Generation Cloud Management – HiveManager NG reduces complexity and cost with a single application for centralized automation and programmable management. Offered as a public or private cloud solution, HiveManager NG delivers a new approach to deployment and support of modern access networks. Aerohive continues its cloud innovation with the latest release of HiveManager NG.
- Applications and Insights – Aerohive’s open API platform delivers value beyond connectivity, with programmable interfaces that allow customers to build customized IT and business applications that leverage their own network driven data.
- Aerohive’s SD-LAN solution delivers a sophisticated software approach to access networks, reducing operational complexity. We make it easy to get started, requiring only an access point, a switch, and a cloud license. Get your SD-LAN started today with a free AP from www.aerohive.com/freeap.
- Aerohive’s Software Defined LAN Overview
- SD-LAN explainer video
- SD-LAN: Why your Wi-Fi and Switch Network Refresh Strategy Needs to be Software Defined
- MassChallenge case study
- The College of William & Mary case study
“One of the great advantages with Aerohive’s SD-LAN is that not only is it an intuitive solution and easy to manage, but as our needs change and expand, we also can adopt and add enterprise features and adapt the network as required,” explains Roman Kern, senior director of programs and operations, MassChallenge. “It was important to MassChallenge to find a solution partner that was also entrepreneurial at heart, and that understood our mission and vision. We are confident Aerohive is able to support and connect with us at all levels.”
“The College of William & Mary has relied on Aerohive for many years to provide enterprise wireless networking,” said Norman Elton, network engineer, The College of William & Mary. “At the start, we deployed a network designed for capacity, and now are excited to embrace Aerohive’s vision for software defined networking to support next-generation access. We recently started deploying Aerohive’s SD-LAN AP250 access points with software-driven intelligence across our campus, and look forward to continuing to roll out more of Aerohive’s innovation in this new market direction.” “Digital transformation significantly improves the performance and reach of an enterprise, and has become a top priority for IT and business leaders across the globe,” states Zeus Kerravala, principal analyst, ZK Research. “Companies that are most adaptable to change will sustain market leadership. A networking solution with SD-LAN will enable overall infrastructure to be more agile, flexible and dynamic. Cloud-based solutions offered from Aerohive enable virtualization of the access edge, and prioritize adaptability, customer experience and workforce productivity.”
Safe Harbor Statement
This press release contains forward-looking statements, including statements regarding new Aerohive product and service offerings and statements regarding their expected performance, market receptiveness and competitive advantage. These forward-looking statements are based on current expectations and are subject to inherent uncertainties, risks and changes in circumstances that are difficult or impossible to predict. The actual outcomes and results may differ materially from those contemplated by these forward-looking statements as a result of these uncertainties, risk and changes in circumstances, including, but not limited to, risks and uncertainties related to: general demand for wireless networking in the industry verticals targeted or demand for Aerohive products in particular, unpredictable and changing market conditions, risks associated with the deployment, performance and adoption of new products and services, risks associated with our growth, competitive pressures from existing and new companies, technological change, product development delays, our inability to protect Aerohive intellectual property or to predict or limit exposure to third party claims relating to its or Aerohive’s intellectual property, and general market, political, regulatory, economic and business conditions in the United States and internationally.
Additional risks and uncertainties that could affect Aerohive’s financial and operating results are included under the captions “Risk Factors” and “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations,” in the Company’s recent annual report on Form 10-K and quarterly report on Form 10-Q. Aerohive’s SEC filings are available on the Investor Relations section of the Company’s website at http://ir.aerohive.com and on the SEC’s website at www.sec.gov. All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof, and Aerohive Networks disclaims any obligation to update the forward-looking statements provided to reflect events that occur or circumstances that exist after the date on which they were made, except as required by law.
About Aerohive Networks
Aerohive (NYSE: HIVE) enables our customers to simply and confidently connect to the information, applications, and insights they need to thrive. Our simple, scalable, and secure platform delivers mobility without limitations. For our customers worldwide, every access point is a starting point. Aerohive was founded in 2006 and is headquartered in Milpitas, CA. For more information, please visit www.aerohive.com, call us at 408-510-6100, follow us on Twitter @Aerohive, subscribe to our blog, join our community or become a fan on our Facebook page.
“Aerohive” and “HiveManager” are registered trademarks and “Aerohive Networks” is a trademark of Aerohive Networks, Inc. All product and company names used herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners. All rights reserved.