Aerohive Innovation is Driving the Adoption of 802.11ac Wave 2 Dual 5 GHz Access Point Technology
Dual 5 GHz Access Points Account for Nearly Half of Aerohive Q2 Access Point Sales
Milpitas, Calif. — August 10, 2017 — Aerohive Networks® (NYSE:HIVE), the leading Enterprise Cloud Networking vendor, today announced that it is experiencing rapid adoption of its innovative and market-leading dual 5 GHz-based 802.11ac Wave 2 access points, accounting for 45 percent of its access point sales in Q2 of 2017. Dual 5 GHz delivers greater network efficiency and performance, as well as higher returns on investment (ROI).
- Aerohive innovation has delivered self-learning, artificial intelligence-assisted, software-definable radios (SDR) coupled with proven RF-IQ technology that can dynamically optimize dual 5 GHz environments for maximum efficiency and performance.
- Aerohive’s AP250 and AP550 have both 802.11ac 5 GHz fixed and software-definable radios that can transmit on either the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz band. This allows the APs to operate in either 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz mode or dual 5 GHz mode. The latest updates enable these Aerohive access points to autonomously adapt with current environmental and client conditions, mitigating congestion challenges and providing higher network capacity and performance gains. These access points result in a better ROI than fixed-band radios, as both fixed and software-defined radios can be used at all times to serve clients.
- Many customers have adopted Aerohive’s SD-LAN-based dual 5 GHz solutions since their launch last year and have seen great success, including City Furniture, Edmonds Community College, London Metropolitan University, Greenville University, and Fresno City College, to name a few.
- City Furniture is the largest furniture retailer in South Florida. To accomplish mobility across the company, City Furniture wanted to upgrade from its existing Cisco 802.11g network to a high throughput, 5 GHz-capable solution which allows all showroom iPads and corporate laptops at City to utilize the 5 GHz frequency with minimal channel congestion and better throughput. City Furniture deployed Aerohive AP250 and AP245X access points, with HiveManager® Classic Online for cloud network management. With this radio intelligence, City Furniture gains flexibility, better network efficiency and optimized network design.
- London Metropolitan University is a public research university and one of the oldest educational institutions in London. London Metropolitan University faced the challenges of outdated access points across campus and wanted to redesign its archaic wireless network for better ROI and connectivity. After looking at solutions from Aerohive, Cisco and Meru, London Met began to deploy Aerohive across its entire campus, changing over the Cisco network without user disruption. The university has deployed Aerohive AP250s to take advantage of the latest software-defined radio technology to move campus users onto the 5GHz band when needed for additional network performance.
- Edmonds Community College (Edmonds CC) is a two-year public college located in the Seattle metropolitan area and serves more than 20,000 incoming students each year in its 50-acre campus. The Edmonds CC networking IT team needed to upgrade its aging wireless solution with a cost-effective solution to accommodate its high-density environment. Edmonds CC deployed Aerohive AP250, AP230 and AP1130 access points across the entire campus and remote sites with the cloud-based HiveManager NG for network management. Because Edmonds CC was planning on a 5 GHz-based deployment, the ability to switch from 2.4 GHz/5 GHz to 5 GHz/5 GHz factored greatly into the decision to purchase Aerohive. In many cases where fixed-band, dual-radio access points are deployed, every other 2.4 GHz radio must be turned off to reduce co-channel radio interference.
“The entire networking world is moving toward the software-defined model, which is what makes the dual 5 GHz solution so compelling,” said Changming Liu, chief technology officer and founder, Aerohive Networks. “We uniquely overcame many technical challenges to isolate radios to support simultaneous dual 5 GHz operation in a compact AP form factor, and give control back to the end user instead of the vendor, with software-defined radios that let them deploy the radio in the best mode they see fit for their environment. This not only gives the end user the best Wi-Fi experience, but also dramatic cost savings by deploying one AP instead of two with less interference, equipment, cabling, and power consumption.”
“Today’s Wi-Fi investment decisions will stay with network managers for several years, making it critical to select equipment that can adapt to changing needs,” said Matthias Machowinski, senior research director for IHS Markit, a global information provider. “Software-defined radios allow network managers to continue support for 2.4GHz clients, and as this legacy client base dwindles away, they can be re-used to add more capacity in the 5GHz spectrum.”
“Having Aerohive’s dual 5 GHz technology in place has been the ultimate game changer for our retail business,” said Eric Jensen, infrastructure manager, City Furniture. “Associates can now foster more personal interaction and carry mobile devices for customer service while walking around our showrooms. Customers now receive instant product recommendations and suggestions based on preferences, increasing the closing percentages for sales across our City Furniture stores. Overall, the Aerohive solution has transformed and elevated the way we serve customers and contributed to our bottom line.”
“Aerohive blew all the competition out of the water,” said Scott Farrand, senior network analyst, Edmonds Community College. “It’s a win-win in a high-density environment to enable auto configuration for channel selection to provide the best throughput, ease congestion, and maximize ROI. By directing particular users to the 5 GHz band, we’re getting more utilization out of the 5 GHz band and relieving the 2.4 GHz band for legacy clients. Switching to Aerohive made me rethink our entire wireless strategy and as a result has made our network much simpler.”
“The dual 5 GHz technology from Aerohive is key and has made all the difference for both our users and our IT team,” said Louis Guadagno, network manager, London Metropolitan University. “We can now easily steer London Met users with 5 GHz capability to a separate band, which eases congestion and makes for a superior user experience while maximizing our investment.”
Safe Harbor Statement
This press release contains forward-looking statements, including statements regarding new Aerohive product and service offerings and statements regarding their expected performance, market receptiveness and competitive advantage. These forward-looking statements are based on current expectations and are subject to inherent uncertainties, risks and changes in circumstances that are difficult or impossible to predict. The actual outcomes and results may differ materially from those contemplated by these forward-looking statements as a result of these uncertainties, risk and changes in circumstances, including, but not limited to, risks and uncertainties related to: general demand for wireless networking in the industry verticals targeted or demand for Aerohive products in particular, unpredictable and changing market conditions, risks associated with the deployment, performance and adoption of new products and services, risks associated with our growth, competitive pressures from existing and new companies, technological change, product development delays, our inability to protect Aerohive intellectual property or to predict or limit exposure to third party claims relating to its or Aerohive’s intellectual property, and general market, political, regulatory, economic and business conditions in the United States and internationally.
Additional risks and uncertainties that could affect Aerohive’s financial and operating results are included under the captions “Risk Factors” and “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations,” in the Company’s recent annual report on Form 10-K and quarterly report on Form 10-Q. Aerohive’s SEC filings are available on the Investor Relations section of the Company’s website at http://ir.aerohive.com and on the SEC’s website at www.sec.gov. All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof, and Aerohive Networks disclaims any obligation to update the forward-looking statements provided to reflect events that occur or circumstances that exist after the date on which they were made, except as required by law.
About Aerohive Networks
Aerohive (NYSE: HIVE) enables our customers to simply and confidently connect to the information, applications, and insights they need to thrive. Our simple, scalable, and secure platform delivers mobility without limitations. For our customers worldwide, every access point is a starting point. Aerohive was founded in 2006 and is headquartered in Milpitas, CA. For more information, please visit www.aerohive.com, call us at 408-510-6100, follow us on Twitter @Aerohive, subscribe to our blog, join our community or become a fan on our Facebook page.
“Aerohive” and “HiveManager” are registered trademarks and “Aerohive Networks” is a trademark of Aerohive Networks, Inc. All product and company names used herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners. All rights reserved.