McAllen Independent School District Digitally Transforms Learning Environment with Aerohive and Dell EMC
Milpitas, Calif. — May 2, 2017 — Aerohive Networks® (NYSE:HIVE), announced today that McAllen Independent School District selected Aerohive, in partnership with Dell EMC, to improve the user experience of McAllen’s students and teachers and equip them with the most innovative technology possible for the learning environment.
- McAllen Independent School District (ISD) in Texas’s Rio Grande Valley nationally achieves remarkable results. McAllen high schools rank in the gold and bronze categories of the “Best Schools in the Nation” listings by U.S. News & World Report. Operating in the metro area ranked poorest in the United States, where close to three-quarters of the district’s population is economically disadvantaged and a third has limited English proficiency, McAllen relies on modern technology to beat these handicaps and achieve excellent outcomes. It was one of the first districts in the country to provide everyone — 24,254 students and 1,675 teachers — with mobile devices to facilitate effective learning and teaching.
- Expectations were high for the McAllen IT department, which needs to manage the district’s computing resources and deliver excellent service quality. Several concerns prompted a decision for a complete network overhaul. One of McAllen’s biggest IT challenges was that its solutions had become unmanageable over the years and the district wanted to return to simplicity. The IT department also hoped to align technology closer with the school district’s mission of learning enablement, while at the same time aiming to improve the reliability of the wireless network.
- McAllen’s curriculum was becoming more and more based on wireless technology and after 18 years with the same vendor’s products, the school district decided to review leading networking solutions. The district solicited bids from several vendors, including Dell EMC and Hewlett Packard Enterprise. McAllen ISD closely reviewed technical capabilities, the interoperability of multiple manufacturers’ devices, and the financial impacts of purchasing and long-term operation. The vendors had to demonstrate that their solutions would support a simple IT and network environment that would be flexible and easy to troubleshoot and manage.
- Each vendor was asked to provide a proof of concept of the proposed networking and wireless technologies. McAllen ISD chose Dell EMC networking solutions together with wireless devices from Aerohive.
- The Aerohive and Dell solution proved to be much more robust and easy to manage, performing much better than McAllen’s past solution. Supported by Dell EMC partner Weaver Technologies, the district deployed Dell EMC Networking N3024F, N3024P and N3048P 1/10GbE switches; Dell EMC Networking S4048 switches; and Dell EMC Networking C9010 switches. The Dell Networking solutions interoperate smoothly with the district’s existing Dell EMC servers. SonicWallTM devices secure the network.
- The district’s Wi-Fi is powered by Aerohive AP250 access points installed in schools and campuses. Through this solution, McAllen ISD realized both immediate and long-term cost savings. Savings also result from reduced licensing expenses and process changes with the self-healing network. The help desk can delegate the use of the management console to a support specialist and offload it from the most experienced IT professionals. With a network optimized for learning, McAllen IT also gained greater control, which directly affects the user experience. McAllen’s collaboration with Dell EMC and Aerohive yields lasting technical and learning benefits. The close integration of Dell EMC networking and Aerohive products has enabled McAllen IT to manage the devices better. Because of the way McAllen, Dell EMC and Aerohive work together, the IT department can develop great solutions at reasonable costs that are sustainable over time.
- McAllen Independent School District Case Study
- Customer Testimony: McAllen Independent School District
- News Clip: Major Technology Companies Visit McAllen ISD
- Unified Wired and Wireless Networking
“The Aerohive solution, in comparison to other products that we’ve looked at and had, has really come to aid us in manageability of the client,” said Pat Karr, district director of network services, McAllen Independent School District. “Every device that we have is now being managed through the controller-less wireless setup that we have, and we can see every device that’s coming onto the network. We can password protect it, and use private pre-shared keys to help us with that. At the end of the day, it’s providing us a good viewpoint of what our students and staff are doing and what we can try to do better to make it more efficient and faster for them.”
Safe Harbor Statement
This press release contains forward-looking statements, including statements regarding new Aerohive product and service offerings and statements regarding their expected performance, market receptiveness and competitive advantage. These forward-looking statements are based on current expectations and are subject to inherent uncertainties, risks and changes in circumstances that are difficult or impossible to predict. The actual outcomes and results may differ materially from those contemplated by these forward-looking statements as a result of these uncertainties, risk and changes in circumstances, including, but not limited to, risks and uncertainties related to: general demand for wireless networking in the industry verticals targeted or demand for Aerohive products in particular, unpredictable and changing market conditions, risks associated with the deployment, performance and adoption of new products and services, risks associated with our growth, competitive pressures from existing and new companies, technological change, product development delays, our inability to protect Aerohive intellectual property or to predict or limit exposure to third party claims relating to its or Aerohive’s intellectual property, and general market, political, regulatory, economic and business conditions in the United States and internationally.
Additional risks and uncertainties that could affect Aerohive’s financial and operating results are included under the captions “Risk Factors” and “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations,” in the Company’s recent annual report on Form 10-K and quarterly report on Form 10-Q. Aerohive’s SEC filings are available on the Investor Relations section of the Company’s website at http://ir.aerohive.com and on the SEC’s website at www.sec.gov. All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof, and Aerohive Networks disclaims any obligation to update the forward-looking statements provided to reflect events that occur or circumstances that exist after the date on which they were made, except as required by law.
About Aerohive Networks
Aerohive uses Cloud Management, Machine Learning, and Artificial Intelligence to radically simplify and secure the Access Network. Our Cloud-Managed Wireless, Switching, Routing, and Security technologies provide unrivalled flexibility in deployment, management, and licensing. Credited with pioneering Controller-less Wi-Fi and Cloud Management, Aerohive delivers continuous innovation at Cloud-speed that constantly challenges the industry norm, allowing customers to rethink what’s possible. Our innovations and global cloud footprint radically simplify Access Network operation for 30,000+ customers and 10+ million daily users. See how at www.aerohive.com/customers.
Aerohive was founded in 2006 and is headquartered in Milpitas, CA. For more information, please visit www.aerohive.com, call us at 408-510-6100, follow us on Twitter @Aerohive, subscribe to our blog, or become a fan on our Facebook page.
“Aerohive” is a registered trademark and “Aerohive Networks” is a trademark of Aerohive Networks, Inc. All product and company names used herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners. All rights reserved.